LOVE THROUGH LETTERS

Connecticut

70 A

Saturday

7:30 AM

Today I was home alone. My husband is at the conference and will be returning from the United Kingdom next week. My two lovely daughters are on the tour and they will also return by next week. Bot of my daughter got a scholarship. My elder daughter got a scholarship in Ph.D. in IT whereas my younger daughter got a scholarship in MBA from UCONN.

I got up lazily. After breakfast, I started cleaning my room. Firstly, I opened my cupboard. In the cupboard, I found my red colour box and I opened the box. I was in bed with the box which had my old kinds of stuff. I was looking at those kinds of stuff and was lost in the memories. In the box, there were filled with letters. I got emotional when I saw those letters because those letters were not letters but they were filled with love. When I saw those letters, I was in the flashback and my eyes were filled with tears.  

I

1985 AD

            I was studying for a Bachelor’s Degree in English from Tribhuwan University. I was in the second year. I was fond of reading novels especially of D.H. Lawrence and Charles Dickens. Not only English Literature, but I was also fond of reading Nepali novels.

Today was Saturday. I went to the stationery and brought Nepali magazines ‘Madhuparka’ and ‘Yuwamanch.’ I love reading Nepali stories published in magazines. Although I loved writing short stories, I never preferred to send my stories to those magazines. I wanted to see my name in the magazine but I had feared.

I was reading Maddhuparka and the last page caught my eyes, The last page was of making friends. Every person had photos but  Nitesh Shrestha didn’t have a photo. He was studying for a Master’s Degree in Commerce and was at the age of 22. His hobbies were stamp collection, reading novels, and writing stories. There was something about him that I wanted to write a letter to him. So, I started writing a letter to him:-

Dear Niteshji,

                  Namaste. My Name is Anisha Dahal. I am originally from Dhankuta but I live in Kathmandu. I am been staying at Maitidevi for the last ten years. Furthermore, I am studying a Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature from Tribhuwan University, Kirtipur.

When I saw your profile in Manuparka Magazine, there was something about you that made me write a letter to you. Although you didn’t have the photo in the magazine, I was more curious to know about you. The most interesting is that we both love reading novels and writing stories. I also write short stories but I have never published my stories. I want to know that if you have published any of your stories?

I hope we will be a good friend and I hope you will send me the letters.

                                                                                                      Sincerely Yours

                                                                                                        Anisha Dahal

I read the letter again. After finishing reading the letter, I kept the letter inside the envelope. While writing the address, I realised that I didn’t have post number. So, I planned to go for the post box number by tomorrow.

The next day, I reached to Lazimpat. Lazimpat was only place for the post box. After filling up for the registration, I posted the letter. I was nervous as well as excited.

 the letter. I was nervous as well as excited.

II

After two weeks….

                            After college, I reached to Lazimpat with excitement. I opened my post box. There was a letter. With excitement, I reached home. It was my first letter until now. Without changing my clothes, I started reading letters.

Dear Anishaji,

                      Namaste. I was glad to receive your letter and know about you. Moreover, I was glad to know that you are also from Dhankuta.

 First of all, let me introduce myself. I am studying for a Master’s Degree in Literature from Dharan. I am a teacher and I teach for class nine and ten.

I am glad that you also love reading novels and writing short stories. I love novels that have depth in life. For example, I loved the novel ‘Anuradha’ of Bijaya Malla. It had portrayed the meaning of true love. The love showed by the male character towards Anuradha is unbelievable. The novel touched my heart.

Another novel which I liked was ‘The English Teacher’ of R.K Narayan. It showed the true relationship between husband and wife. Not only that, but it also showed the meaning of life, love, and relationship and struggle.

Besides reading books, I love writing short stories and my stories are published in Madhuparka too. I write about love and life. Next month, my story will be Madhuparka. I hope you will read and provide me constructive comments.

For today this much. I hope you will send me a letter again.  Thank You.

                                                                                                Sincerely Yours

                                                                                                 Nitesh Shrestha

I was happy as well as overwhelmed after reading his letter. We both have so much similar in the reading novels. I too love the novels ‘Anuradha’ and ‘The English Teacher.’ Both books had the meaning of life. I was glad that he too loved writing stories. The difference between him and me was that I had never tried of publishing the stories of mine. After reading his letter, I got motivated to publish the stories in the magazine. 

III

After returning from college, I brought the magazine ‘Manuparkha.’ I was excited to read the story of Nitesh and after lunch, I rushed to my room and started reading his story. The title of the story was “The Far Distance, The More Love.”

Isha and I were in the same school. We were good friends. We were never separated. Moreover, our house was nearby. We used to visit each other house too. Furthermore, she was only one friend whom I had in my childhood but I didn’t know that time could separate us.

After class five, she left the beautiful place Dhankuta and was shifted to India. Before leaving the place she came to meet me.

“Nitesh, we are leaving Dhankuta tomorrow.”

When Isha said that she was leaving, my eyes were filled with tears. I felt that I will not have any friends to share and play.

After a few minutes, I said, “Why are you leaving Dhankuta?”

“My father is shifting to India.”

“Now, I will not have a friend to play and share.”

“I will come to meet you during my vacation.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

The next day, I didn’t see her leaving but by looking the way, I was sad. On the same day, I argued with my parents that we will also go to India.  I cried a lot on this day. This was the last meeting that we met. After this, we never met and there was no medium to contact. I waited for her but she never came to meet me. There was hope that she would come to meet me but it all vanished. I don’t know how she looks now. I don’t know whether I will meet her in the future or not. She was my first love.

I was emotional. After finishing reading the story, I had many questions in my mind. One was that class he still loves her? What if both of them meet? I felt different in my heart. Moreover, I wanted to know more about their love story. So, I wrote a letter.

Dear Niteshji,

                   I loved your story. It was emotional. While reading your story, there were many questions in my mind. One is that is this a real story? If it is real, do you still love her, and are you still waiting for her? I am interested to know about your love story. I hope you will share your story.

                                                                                                            Regards,

                                                                                                          Anisha Dahal

IV

After two weeks, I got his letter. I was excited and after reading home. I started reading the letter.

Dear Anishaji,

                    Thank You for the letter and thank you for liking my story. Yes, it’s my own story. I truly loved her. I still love her but I am not waiting for her. It’s not that I don’t love her but she might have got married. I have to move ahead.

Please, let me know about you too. Thank You.

                                                                                                  Regards,

                                                                                                      Nitesh Shrestha

I was happy to know that he is not waiting for her. After this, we started exchanging more letters. I was curious to listen to his voice and wanted to see him in person. So, I told him about meeting him but he told me that after my final year exam completion, he will come to meet me and my family. It means I have to wait for one year which I happily agreed. During this one year, we exchanged letters. During those days, my father didn’t know about my love life and I was scared to share my love life.

V

My final year of Bachelor’s Degree was completed. I was waiting for this day. While I was waiting for this day, my father called me in his room. He was reading a book. The door was open but I knocked on the door. He saw me and smiled at me. He kept his book on the table. I sat nearby.

Meanwhile, he said, “You have completed a Bachelor’s Degree. I know that you will pass the exam with a good percentage. Today, I called you to talk about your marriage. I hope you will agree with me.”

The environment was silent for the moment. I felt nervous and my father was observing me. He, then said, “My daughter what happened? If you are interested to get married, that’s fine. You don’t need to rush.”

“Actually father, I am in love with someone.” I was nervous.

“Who is that person?” My father was cool and didn’t show any objection. Meanwhile, he said, “Look, you haven’t seen him and heard his voice. How can you love and marry him?”

“We both love each other. I will send him a letter that you want to meet him. When you meet him and dislike him, I will not marry him.”

My father agreed and I wrote a letter to him.

Dear Niteshji,

                    I hope everything is good with you. My father has been talking about my marriage and I have mentioned to you. My father wants to meet you. I hope you will come to meet my father with you and your family.

                                                                                                    Regards,

                                                                                                    Anisha Dahal

Although I have posted the letter, I didn’t get any response from him. I waited for his response for more than two months but I didn’t get any response from him. When he didn’t respond, I started crying. I felt like he had betrayed me. I felt like he got married to another girl.

VI

After a few months, my final year result was out. I passed in the first division. I was happy. More than me, my father was happier. To be honest, I was happy as well as low-spirited because he was not responding.

After a few weeks of my result, my father came into my room and said, ”Did you get any response from Nitesh?”

I remained silent. When my father saw me in the silence, he said, ”What happened? Why are you so silent?”

I told everything to my father. After listening to me, he said, ”Look, whatever has happened in the past, please forget. Move ahead. Forget him. You will get a better person who can understand you better and can hold you for the whole life.”

Although I had tears in my eyes, I said, “For your happiness, I am ready to get married.”

He was happier and said, “That’s my good girl.” He then left the room. Meanwhile, I thought there was no other choice.

VII

It was the month of December 1987 A.D. It was the big day for me. I got married to Vivek Sharma who did M.Sc. in Physics and got a scholarship in the United States of America.  I was supposed to go with him.

After two months he flew for the United States. I too applied for the scholarship. I got a scholarship for a Master’s Degree in Literature. I too was in the United States. After the completion of my Master’s Degree, I got a job at the University. My husband too got a job at the University.

After four years of marriage, my elder daughter was born-Suhana. After five years of the elder daughter, my younger daughter was born-Smriti. They made us proud.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing those letters, I was lost in the past, and tears were in my eyes. To be honest, after the marriage, I wasn’t able to forget Nitesji. I felt guilty at the last stage of my life because I am not able to see his face. I wanted to meet him once before I die. I am suffering from brain cancer and I am at the last stage of cancer. Even my family doesn’t know about it and I didn’t prefer to say about it. I don’t know how long I will survive but his love will remain after I die too.

After a few minutes, I kept the stuff in the box and started cleaning the room.

 


Comments

Popular Posts