WRITING A SHORT STORIES: MY EXPERIENCE

I used to write stories since my childhood. I was fond reading of stories rather than Maths and Science. I was not much interested in those subjects and I knew that I will not study those faculties in the future. When I was in the school, I was focused on the story books. In course book too, I used to read the stories rather than Maths and Science. Interestingly, I used to read the same stories again and again. You can say that I have the repeat mode of every stories. The more I read the stories, the more I wanted to write the stories.

I remember one of the beautiful incidents while I was in the childhood. I was in the grade 9 and I had the exam of Maths. Instead of practicing the Maths, I kept the story book over the Maths book and started reading the book. Although I failed in the subject, I had never regretted on that.

While studying on the school, my limits were only on the school book stories but after joining the Plus Two, my reading practice had changed. One of my teachers who used to teach English, he used to give description about the different novels and books in the interesting manner. He directly and indirectly made me read different books especially novels.

I still read the book but the selection has been different. I used to read the novels. In the beginning, I used to read the classics one and Indian writers but later I changed the pattern. I started reading different novels of different writers. Not only novels, I started reading biographies. Furthermore, I used to read only English language books but later I started reading Nepali language books too. Both languages have helped to gain my vocabulary and have inspired to be creative.

So, what made me write? One reason is that while I was in school, I used to write poems and stories but I stopped after completing school. But when I saw one of my good friends’ blog in 2013 that encouraged me to write and post on the blog. Slowly, I started writing. At the beginning, I wrote romantic stories which were like filmy. At that time, I didn’t have good English and Nepali. Still, I am in the phase of improving the both languages.

I had written more than the 150 stories which have been posted in the blog. Writing those stories were not that easy. I still remember get amazed how I wrote those stories. Most of the stories were on my own personal experiences and some of them were of my friends.

To be honest, it’s tough to write because you have to create the plot, scene, character and the place. While writing most of the time, I stopped in the middle because I don’t know how to go ahead with the story.  Sometimes, I get stuck in the ending because I get confused which ending. While writing story, many plots and thoughts do come in my mind which makes me confused which is the better. So, basically what I do is that I write both version of the story and finally see which is better. Sometimes, I do cut the scene which I don’t like because of many thoughts playing in my mind.

 While writing short stories, I realised that there should be outline. I started making outline and started thinking what kind of story should I write, who are my characters, the settings, the scene and the plot. This helped to grow and to write the story. Although I don't follow any rule books, I still read and search the information for writing the story. For getting idea, I read lots of stories and articles which helps to grow in terms of creativity and languages. 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts