THE OPEN SECRET


I

I was returning from the office to home. I was at Triprueshwor. Due to rainfall, I stopped my bike at the bus stop and I sat on the bench. I am not the person who loves to carry neither a raincoat nor an umbrella. I took out my mobile phone from my pocket. The time showed 7:00 pm. I then turned on the mobile data and logged in to Facebook. After few minutes, I logged out the Facebook as there was not much interesting in Facebook and I turned off the mobile data too. Meanwhile, I saw one car that stopped near the bus stop and from the car, one girl came out and she started dancing in the rain. I was focused on her. In my life, I was not focused on girls before. After few minutes, other vehicles started shouting at her. Then, she started her car and left the place. Meanwhile, I was waiting to stop for the rainfall. After two hours, the rain stopped and I started my bike on the way to my house. The whole night, I was thinking of her.

 

After a week…..

                                I was at my best friend’s wedding. The wedding ceremony was held at Diyo Banquet, Chabhill. I was with my group. Meanwhile, I saw her and she was eating the food. When I saw her, I went near to her but I couldn’t speak a single word. I was looking here and there. I was nervous. When I turned back, I didn’t see her. Where did she go?

Meanwhile, Abhiral came near to me and said, “Oh, hero. Where are you lost? And what are you searching for?”

 

“I saw one beautiful girl. I was about to speak with her but where did she go?”

 

“Who is that?”

 

“If I had known, I could have already talked with her.” Then, we both went near to the bridegroom. We started taking pictures. Then, I saw her again and I again went near to her. When I was near to her, I couldn’t speak a single word. I was nervous and I was shaking. With the courage, I was about to introduce myself, she was not in the place. Although she was not in the place, I saw the plastic cup in which she was drinking the water. I collected the cup.

 

II

It was a fine Sunday and I invited my good friends to my home. I had four good friends with whom I studied from 10+2 to my Master’s Degree. We knew each other’s secrets. It was around 1 pm and we were in my room. Meanwhile, Abhiral said, “Let’s have a party.”

 

“Besides the party, cannot you think of anything else,” Rocky said.

 

“I agree that Abhiral is no serious in any matter,” Sameer said.

 

“Will you all guys be quiet? I didn’t invite you guys for your gossip. I called you guys to listen to my story.” I said.

 

“Besides your work, you never talk anything else,” Abhiral said.

 

“Shut up. I called you guys to share my interesting story.” I said with excitement.

 

“What’s the interesting story? Say quickly.” Abhiral said.

I opened the drawer and showed them the cup. Meanwhile, Abhiral laughed and said, “Is this interesting one that you wanted to show us?”

 

“Will you guys shut up? Let me tell you guys an interesting story about this cup. This cup is special for me and see the mark of lipstick?”

 

From where did you pick up the cup?’

 

“In Milan’s wedding ceremony, I saw her again,” I told my friends about the girl, and they were attentive towards my story. After listening to my story, Abhiral said, “Your love story is almost the same as the Bollywood movie named Rehna Hai Tere Dil Mein.”

 

“How?”

 

“In that movie, the hero first meets heroine in while it was raining. The second time, he meets her in the marriage ceremony. Hero then collects the cup of lipstick mark. The same happens to you.”

 

“Huh.”

 

Everyone agrees with him and I was amazed. Whatever Abhiral said was true. Although I was happy that at the end of the story, I will get my love, I was scared too if I didn’t get her. I was lost in my world. 

III

Abhiral and I were in the New Road. Meanwhile, I saw her and I told Abhiral to ride the bike faster. We reached Basantpur but we didn’t see her. Although we didn’t see her, we saw her friend. Abhiral knew that I feel awkward speaking in front of girls. That’s why Abhiral said, “Namaste.”

 

She was amazed and said, “Namaste. Do you know each other?”

 

“We are friends of your friend. We saw both of you and we were calling you but you guys didn’t listen.”

 

“So, both of you are friends of Riya ?”

 

“Yes. We studied in 10+2 but after completing 10+2 we haven’t her. We friends often have got together but she hasn’t joined till now. Furthermore, nobody has her contact number. This time we have a get-together. So, can you please provide us her phone number?”

 

She was amazed and said, “You can contact her from Facebook.”

 

“I have sent her messages but there was no response. After a long time, I messaged her so, I thought she might have forgotten me.”

 

She was again amazed. Meanwhile, I was in silent mode and Abhiral was convincing her to get the number. In the beginning, she didn’t prefer to provide the number but Abhiral has finally convinced her and we got the number. I was happy and was out of the world.

After reaching home, my concentration was on her number. I was trying to call her but I was scared. Finally, after many attempts, I gave a call to her but after two rings, I disconnected the phone. This continued for more than one hour. After that, she switched off her mobile.

 

IV

“Hello,” I said. I was in the office.

 

“Hello. There is good news for you.” Abhiral said.

 

“Please, tell fast.” I was busy with my work.

 

“You and Riya have a chance to meet.”

 

“What? How?” I said with happiness.

 

“She is the friend of or friend’s wife. On Saturday, our friend Milan is giving a party. So, Riya is also invited.”

 

“Where are we meeting.”

 

“A-one café, New Baneshwor, 2:00 pm.”

 

“Ok. I will come.” I was happy and was lost in the world of Riya.

 

 

Saturday

12:00 PM

 

I was over-excited. I was waiting for this day and wanted to look perfect. With excitement, I reached A-one café before the time. I had worn a blue t-shirt with a coat and a black pant. I was looking here and there. After few minutes, the waiter came near to me and asked for my order. I didn’t give any order and told him to come after few minutes.

 

After few minutes, Abhiral arrived. With happiness, he came near to me. We both shook hands and we both sat on the chair. After sitting on the chair, Abhiral said, “I am happy for you. I pray for both of you.”

 

I was silent and was nervous. He was observing me and said, “In the beginning, you feel nervous and have no words to say. But after meeting frequently, it will be habitual.”

 

“As if you have the experience,” I said.

 

He was about to say something. Rocky and Sameer arrive and after Rocky and Sameer, Milan and his wife arrived. Everyone arrived but Riya hadn’t arrived yet. I was curious that when shall she come. Meanwhile, Abhiral understood my expression and said, “Milan, you said your one of the friends is about to come.”

 

“She is on the way,” Uttam said.

 

Meanwhile, Riya came. I was excited to see her. Love songs started playing on my mind. Riya greeted us and we were introduced to each other and looked at each other and smiled. Although I wanted to talk with her, I had no courage to talk with her. Moreover, I was talking with my friends; I used to look at her.

 

The time showed 7:00 pm and everyone was in hurry to go back home. Meanwhile, I went near to her and said, “Hi.”

 

“Hi.”

 

We both smiled and were looking here and there. After few minutes, with courage, I said, “Riya, can I get your number so that we can be in touch.”

 

“Sure.”

 

Although I had her number, it was such an excuse to talk with her. We both exchanged each other’s numbers. After exchanging the number, we left the place and after reaching home, I checked her in Viber. She was online and I send her the message:

“Hi.”

 

“Hi.” She immediately responded.

 

“It was great to meet you today.”

 

“Thank You. Same here.”

 

“Thank You.”

 

After those messages, I didn’t prefer to send any messages. I was overwhelmed when she had send me a message by saying “It was great to meet you today.” I felt like I was in another world. I started listening to romantic and love songs. Although I didn’t know how to dance, I dance today.

  

V

“We have been dating for a long period. We both have a good job so, why don’t we get married.” I said.

 

She was looking differently. She kept the coffee on the table and said, “For you, it might belong period but we have met only for two months. Cannot you wait for one year. I should know more about you. You don’t rush.”

 

“Don’t you like me? I will do whatever you say but don’t say that you don’t want to marry me.”

 

“It’s not like that. I considered you as a good friend. I only want some time.”

 

“For how long ?”

 

“One Year.’

I remained silent. In my lifetime, I wasn’t in the rush as rush to get married to her. In the beginning, I thought she will agree with me but I failed. I didn’t have any options besides waiting. She was observing me and said, “Are you angry?”

 

“I am rush to get married to you.”

 

“Bipin, don’t rush. In rush, some decision may affect your life.”

 

I preferred to remain silent and she said, “Please, don’t be upset. Smile. The angry face doesn’t suit you.”

 

Then, we both smiled. Although I smiled, I was not happy from my heart.

 

VI

With time, we started meeting frequently and started chatting frequently on Facebook too. Whenever I used to have a conversation with her, I felt happy. But whenever I talk about marriage, she didn’t prefer to talk about it. Most of the time, I used to feel like she doesn’t like to get married to me. She doesn’t love me. I was only involved in this relationship. I used to call her, text her and meet her. From her side, she never called me and text me.

 

After few months, I was trying to reach Riya but I couldn’t. When I dialled her number, her mobile was switched off. This continued for almost two months. Besides, her name and phone number, I didn’t have any information about Riya. Whenever I used to ask about her family and others, she didn’t prefer to say anything.

 

So, I was nervous and called Abhiral. He picked up the phone in one ring and said, “How are you, my friend? You gave me a call after a long period. Are you getting married?” He started laughing.

 

“Will you shut up? You have to joke 24 hours. I called you because I need your help.”

 

“What kind of help do you need? I will help you, my friend.”

 

“Do you know anything about Riya?”

 

“No. How can know about Riya?”

 

I told him about my situation. He was shocked to know about my condition. After listening to my side of the story, he said, “Don’t worry. I will find out about Riya and will call you. He then disconnected the phone.

 

After talking with him, I was a kind of relief. I have no option besides waiting for his call.

After few weeks, I was in the office and my mobile phone rang. I saw Abhiral’s name which made me excited and I answered his call.

 

“Hello,” I said with excitement.

 

“Hello.”

 

The environment was silent. I was scared when he didn’t speak. Then, I said, “Hey, what happened? Say something.”

 

“It’s better if you forget Riya.”

 

“What are you saying Abhiral?”

 

“Yes, Riya has betrayed you. I couldn’t find anything about Riya. Nobody knows about her and has seen her. So, it’s better if you forget her.”

 

After saying those words, he disconnected the phone. I felt bad and my eyes were filled with tears. I started remembering the days spend with her. What was the reason for betraying me? How can forget her?

 

VII

“Look, don’t drink too much. You have drunk too much.” Abhiral said. He was worried me. After few minutes, we left the bar. When I was not in the contact with Riya, I started drinking a lot.

 

Today also I was drunk and was unconscious. Abhiral was with me all the time. When I was on his bike, I had said Riya thousands of times whereas Abhiral was tolerating me. When we reached the name, I scolded Abhiral but also he remained silent and he stayed with me. When I slept, I was telling the name of Riya. I had been made in the love of Riya and was lost in the memory of Riya.

 

After two months…..

                                 It was Friday and it was raining heavily. I was in Triprueshwor and I was waiting for the rain to stop. Meanwhile, I saw one car from which Riya came out. I was shocked to see her. After few minutes, I was near to her but she was back in her car and I followed her. Although I followed her, I couldn’t see. She was lost.

 

This continued for many days and she used to get lost in different places. I didn’t know why was she doing this to me? Time was running out and I was not able to know about Riya. I didn’t get an opportunity to know about her. I was not able to know what was happening in my life.

 

After few days, I saw Riya again and followed her. She was in one of the cafés of New Baneshwor. She was in one of the cafés of New Baneshwor. I was also in the café but I didn’t see her. Where did she get lost? I was amazed that within few minutes, where did she get lost? I thought to wait in the café. So, I took out the mobile from my pocket and started playing the game. Meanwhile, I saw Pabitra and was shocked to see her with Riya. What is the relation between Riya and Pabitra?

 


VIII

A few Years Back….

                           I was in the gym and it was 8:00 am. I was running on the treadmill and meanwhile, one girl came next to the treadmill. She gave a beautiful smile and I too smiled back. This continued for many days and we haven’t spoken for many weeks.

 

It was almost two months we gave only smile but for almost one week, I was not able to go gym due to my busy schedule. When I was not in the gym, she started searching for me.

After one week, I was in the gym and was on the treadmill. Meanwhile, she came and said, “Hi. You came after a week.”

 

“I was busy with my work so, I wasn’t able to join the gym.” In this way, our conversation started and I was able to know about her. Her name was Pabitra and she was a school teacher. She had graduated in English.

 

We became very close and had a physical relationship. After one year relationship, she was in my home and the time was already 8:00 pm. We both were drinking wine and were looking at the stars. Meanwhile, Pabitra said, “Bipin.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I need to say something.” She was nervous.

 

“Say.”

 

“I am pregnant.”

 

“What?” I got up.

 

“Yes, I am pregnant with your child.”

 

“What are you saying?” He was angry.

 

We both were silent. Pabitra was looking at me. By breaking the silence, Pabitra said, “Why are you silent? Say something, Bipin.”

 

“I don’t love you. I used you for my pleasure. I don’t have any relationship with you.”

 

“It means you don’t want to marry you.”

 

“How about the child?” Her eyes were filled with tears.

 

“Do abortion.”

 

“How can I abort the child. It’s our child.”

 

“Do whatever you want. I will not stay with you nor I can marry you.”

 

“What are you saying?”

 

We argued and we were stuck in our decision. I was furious. With aggression, I hit Pabitra with the vessel which was near to me. She fell to the ground. When she fell to the ground, I was freaking. I checked her nerves, she died. So, I kept her dead body in the car. I reached into the jungle. I looked here and there. I saw no one and threw her dead body in the jungle.

 

IX

Present Tine……

                              How can Pabitra be alive? I have killed her. Who saved her? When I threw her dead body, I saw nobody. I was getting mad and I was not understanding what was going around me.

 

The next day was Saturday. I knew that Riya used to visit the Maitidevi temple. So, I reached there at 8:00 am and I was waiting for her. While waiting for her, I saw Pabitra and I was shocked. She was in the queue and when I went near to her, she was lost. I looked here and there. Within a few seconds, where did she go?  

 

The whole night, I was thinking about her. It was a sleepless night for me. Meanwhile, my mobile phone rang. Without looking at the name, I answered the phone.

 

“Hello,” I said.

 

“Hello, Bipin. How are you?” It was Pabitra’s voice.

 

“Pabitra,” I said and she disconnected the phone. Again, the mobile rang and I answered the phone.

 

“Hello.”

 

“I am back.” Again, she disconnected the phone. The whole night, she gave a call and disconnected the phone. This continued for two months. She used to call me with different numbers. Pabitra’s phone call was making me mad.

 

X

I was at my office and was busy with my work. Meanwhile, my mobile rang and I answered the call without looking at the number.

 

“Hello,” I said.

 

“Hello, Bipin. Please, help me.” It was Riya’s voice.

 

“Riya, where are you? What has happened to you?” The phone was already disconnected. I dialled the number again but the phone was switched off. Riya had called me after two months.

 

The next day, at the same time, my mobile rang. The number was unknown but also I picked up the phone.

 

“Hello,” I said.

 

“Hello, Bipin. Please save me.” It was Riya’s voice.

 

“Riya, where are you?” The phone was again disconnected.

 

I dialled the number, it was switched off. I dialled the number but each other and every time, the phone was switched off. I was in tension. Sometimes, Pabitra called me and sometimes Riya. What was going on?

 

XI

After a week…….

                                The time showed 6:00 pm and I was still working at the office. Meanwhile, the mobile phone rang. Although the number unknown answered the phone. 

 

“Hello,” I said.

 

“Don’t you want to save Riya ?” It was Pabitra’s voice.

 

“Pabitra, is Riya with you?” I said.

 

“If you want to save her and save her.” And she gave me the address. The address she gave was that I had never heard of before. After completion of work, I reached the address, she gave. After two hours, I reached the address.

 

It was far from Dhulikhel and the jungle was huge. There was a small house and I entered the house. The house was dark and I turned on the mobile’s light. I looked here and there. It seemed that it has been a long time, people have not stayed here. Then, I went upstairs. On the wall, pictures were annoying. The more I went upstairs, the darker and suspense. When I reached upstairs, I said hello but there was no response. Again, I said hello but there was no response. When there was no response, I got panic. Moreover, I didn’t know where to go; whether left or right. After few minutes, I went right and it was dark. Although there was nothing on the wall, the wall was strange. I walked straight and there was the way downstairs. When I was downstairs, I said hello but there was no response. I looked here and there.

 

Meanwhile, when I turned back, somebody hit on my head and I was unconscious and after two hours, I came in the reality and I was in the chair. Meanwhile, Riya and Pabitra came near to me and I was shocked.

 

“You are shocked, right?”

 

I didn’t have any words to say and I was looking at them. Meanwhile, I said, “How did you guys know each other?”

 

“We are sisters.”

 

“What?” I was shocked.

 

“Yes, we both are sisters.”

 

“But you guys didn’t say anything about your family.”

 

“We intentionally didn’t say anything.”

 

"How Pabitra is alive?”

 

“To say the truth, I and Pabitra are twins. I am not Pabitra. I am Nisha. We are three sisters.”

 

“Twins?”

 

“Yes, we are twins. Pabitra had told me everything about you. After meeting with you, she was happy. She was madly in love with you. Every time, she used to mention you. But one day, she was lost. We searched for her a lot but we didn’t find her. When we didn’t find her, we complained in the police station. With the help of police, we found the dead body of Pabitra and we knew she was pregnant. So, we planned to trap you. So, I came into your life. According to our plan, you came here.”

 

I smiled. When I smiled, Nisha was shocked. Moreover, when Riya smiled at me, Nisha was more shocked. She, then, said, “What’s happening here?”

 

“You are shocked, right? Riya knows everything.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yes, I know everything. Bipin and we know each other and love each other. Bipin had told me that he never loved Pabitra.”

 

“You know each other before?”

 

“Yes, we knew each other from college time. He was a senior to me but we didn’t get an opportunity to speak. We fell in love only after we met in common friend’s wedding.”

“I considered Pabitra as a good friend only. She loved me but I didn’t love her. It was only one-sided love. She proposed to me but I rejected her proposal. My best friend Rakesh liked her. He took advance of mine. He knew everything. He called Pabitra and said that I was interested to meet her. With excitement, she came into the lodge. Rakesh was a rich man’s son and was mad. He did plastic surgery on my face. He took advantage of her. Later, when I met her, she told me about the pregnancy and I was shocked. I was trying to explain to her but she was not ready to listen. We argued and with anger, I hit her with the vessel. It was not the intention. I took her to the hospital. I knew it was Rakesh who made her pregnant. I searched for him but didn’t find him.

 

I told her everything and send her away from here. The dead body that you saw was of somebody else. For the sake of a good friend, I did it. My fault was that I trusted Rakesh and told him everything. I cannot tell anything about Pabitra because of her promise.”

 

“How about Pabitra’s child?” Nisha said.

 

“She has a daughter.”

 

There was silence in the environment. We three looked at each other. Nisha’s eyes showed that she felt guilty. After few minutes, she said, “You knew about me?”

 

“Riya told me about you. When you called me, I knew you are Nisha, not Pabitra. I wanted to know about your plan so, I remained silent. I wanted to tell you the truth. Not only about the truth, but I also wanted to ask for forgiveness. Somehow, there is my fault too.”

Nisha and Riya remained silent and were looking at each other. Meanwhile, Riya went near to Nisha and said, “Please, forgive Bipin.”

 

“I have forgiven you but can you tell me about Pabitra?”

 

“I will call Pabitra and will inform you.”

 

She agreed and unloose the rope and we left the place.

 

After two weeks…………….

                          I was on the plane and I was leaving for the United States of America. Nobody knew about it. Moreover, nobody knows about my truth. It was me who killed Pabitra. I used both Pabitra and Riya. Rakesh's story was false. I made a story and both Riya and Pabitra believed the story. I not only used Riya and Pabitra but also many girls. I killed many girls and threw them where nobody can find the dead body.

 

I had reached the voice of Pabitra so, I played the same voice and Nisha believed it. I told Nisha that I got a scholarship for the United Kingdom. She believed it. Although Riya was upset, I was happy. I wasn’t leaving for the UK but the USA.

Comments

Popular Posts