LOVE WITHIN


I
“Ravi, why don’t you tell your father to leave this house?”
“Now what happened?”
“I am fed up with him. I don’t have time to look at your father. I get tired after taking care of you and the child. He often calls me and makes me do lots of work. Every minute, I had to do his work. I don’t have privacy. Now tell me to who should I look: a child or your father?”
“Look, he has become old. Mother is no more. Where will he go? If I treat your father the same, could you do the same?”
“Don’t compare my father with yours? If your father stays with us, I will stay at my parents’ home.” She left the living and goes to her bedroom. He watched her going up the stairs.

Every day, Kusum and Ravi had a discussion on this topic. He didn’t prefer listening to her and at the end, he gave up. After a week of discussion, they were on the dining table. The environment was silent. She was giving a signal to Ravi to talk with his father. Although he felt awkward, he said, “Dad, I want to say something.”
“Say.”
“Dad, I know it will be difficult for Kusum to handle you and a child. She gets tired. So, I want to say that it’s better if you search yourself for the home.”

The environment was peaceful. Ramchandra knew that he will be thrown out of the home. There was no space for him in this home. But he didn’t accept that his son could do this to him. He was speechless. His eyes were filled with tears. He couldn’t digest food as well as Ravi’s words.

Ravi added again, “You get the retirement money. You can look after yourself. We will often come to meet you. If you need anything, you can let us know.”

Ramchandra didn’t prefer to express his feelings. He knew it could be useless to say anything to his son and daughter-in-law. So, he got up without saying anything. The whole night, he couldn’t asleep. He was lying on his bed. He looked at the photo of his wife and his only one son Ravi. He cried a lot. He had hope that his son would look after him but he was wrong. After the death of his wife, he was lost in his world.

II
Ramchandra was retired from Nepal Rastra Bank. He has turned 65. His wife Urmila died of Cancer two years ago. He felt lonely and disheartened.  When Urmila was alive, he often used to walk with her and talked with her. More than that, they often watched movies together. He was happy when Urmila was with them. But now, he felt he is left over.

After the week, he found a rent nearby Maitidevi Temple. He wanted to do something but the beginning, he didn’t know. Finally, he brought few diaries and started writing. He was lucky that renter was nice. Every day, Sandhya who was the renter made him lunch and dinner. She with her husband and daughter treated him like a family.

III
It was warm weather. After a month, Sandhya was cleaning Ramchandra’s room. While cleaning the room, she saw diaries on the table. She was curious and read the diaries. While reading the diaries, her eyes were filled with tears. The diaries were full of Ramchandra’s life; how he was bought up, his marriage and how his son and daughter-in-law treated him.

After cleaning the room, she took the diary. When Ayushman came home, Sandhya came home, she showed the diary and Ayushman said, “What’s this?”
“Read it.”

He too read the diaries. After reading the diaries, he said, “What kind of son is he? How could he throw him out of the house? No respect for his father.”  Ayushman made the face.

Furthermore, Sandhya said, “You know many publishers. Why don’t you try it for Ramchandra?”

He liked the idea and said yes. On the other hand, Ramchandra was searching for his diaries. He, then, went upstairs. He gave a call to Ayushman.  After hearing the voice of Ramchandra, Ayushman with Sandhya came out from the room and Ayushman said, “Uncle, What happened?”
“I didn’t find my diary. Did you see it?”

Ayushman and Sandhya looked at each other and said no. They wanted to give surprise to Ramchandra by publishing a book. The next day, Ayushman gave the diaries to the publisher. After a week, the publisher said yes to the diary and published a diary. On the other hand, Ramchandra was worried about his diaries.

IV
Ramchandra, Ayushman, and Sandhya were having a dinner. When they were having a dinner, Ayushman said, “Uncle, I need to say sorry to you.”
“Why? You didn’t do anything.”
“We did.”

He looked at both of them. He didn’t get what he was saying and said, “What are you saying Ayushman?”
“Actually, we took your diaries?” He felt uncomfortable.
“What? You took my diaries and didn’t mention about it.” He became annoyed.
“Where are my diaries?” He said again.
“It went to the publishing book.”
“What? You gave it to the publisher. But why did you do this?”
“Actually, I saw your diary while cleaning your room. With the curiosity, I read your diary. I got emotional and gave it to the publishing house. I insisted Ayushman to give the diaries to the publishing house. The next week, on the occasion of your birthday, there will be a book launch.” Sandhya said.

There were tears in the eyes of Ramchandra. He got emotional and said, “Why did you do this to me?”

“You look like my father. I didn’t get the love and affection of my father. I lost my father when I was six. My mother brought me up. After my marriage, she too died. She didn’t get an opportunity to see my son. When you came to this house, I felt like my father has arrived. So, considering you my father, I gave the diaries to the publishing house. Please, forgive me if I hurt you.”

He remained silent. He went into his room. He looked at the photo of his family. He said to himself. “My son threw me from the home whereas; Ayushman treats me his own father. What a huge difference. I think my brought up was wrong. I was wrong as a father.” He cried a lot and blamed himself for Ravi’s behaviour.”

V
6th July 2015. Finally, the book was launch. Journalists, novelists, friends of Ramchandra, Ayushman and Sandhya’s were presented at Rashtriya Saba Ghar at 2:00 pm. Arya Shrestha the Master Ceremony (MC) of the programme welcomed everyone and called Ramchandra on the stage. He came in the stage. He looked at the audience. He didn’t see Ravi and his family. He was hopeful his family to arrive in his programme but failed.

After looking at the audience, he said, “It’s glad to see the huge audience. I am glad and thankful to all of you.

I didn’t accept that my diaries could be published. Honestly, I had not read that much books in my life. I was focused on my family and job. I felt proud of my son but I was wrong. When Ravi grew up and I became old, there was a communication gap. After Ravi’s marriage, he changed. Furthermore, my wife died and I felt lonely. Ravi and his wife were busy with their lives and they didn’t have time for me to speak. I never insisted to have a conversation with them. It was my fault not to have a conversation with them. Later, I was thrown out of the house. I left the home and started living in the rented home. But I was lucky that Ayushman and his wife treated me well like their father. While living with them, I started writing about my life. I didn’t know that Ayushman and Sandhya gave my diary to a publishing house. In the beginning, I didn’t know how to react but now I am happy not because it got published. It’s because people can learn something from my life because life teaches you so many things.

At the last, I would like to thank Ayushman and Sandhya for whatever they have done for me. I would also like to thank the audience for coming here in the book launch. Moreover, I would like to thank my publisher for publishing the book.”

There was applause. Ayushman and Sadhya hugged Ramchandra. Moreover, Ramchandra didn’t believe that his book would be a bestseller. The book was sold more than 50,000 copies. Ramchandra was motivated to write more. He was still staying happily with Ayushman and his family. Either Ravi preferred to call his father or Ramchandra insisted to visit Ramchandra insisted to visit his son.




Comments

Popular Posts