RAMCHANDRA'S STORY


Rohit turned 25 years. He was excited to read the diary of his grandfather Ramchandra. His grandfather died when he was thirteen years old. He was attached to his grandfather. When he left, Rohit felt despondent but with the time, he was healed.

So, with excitement, he read the letter.

I
I was born in Terathum. I was the elder son. Actually, I was not the elder son. If my brother had not died, I could be the second son but he died soon after he was born. I have three brothers and two sisters. We don’t have that much age gap.

When I was a kid, I was naughty. I used to climb the trees and ate fruits. My mother often scolded me for naughtiness. Although I used to do household chores, I was less active on it. I was the laziest son among others in terms of household chores. I preferred sleeping and going outside the house.

Life was not that much easy like today. There were no facilities like mobile, computer, transportation, etc.  To reach the school, it used to take time for almost an hour and to return back, it took one hour more. I used to get early in the morning for school.

My mother used to make food for all of us and there wasn't junk food like today. We ate whatever was available in the home. I was tired of having the same food so, sometimes I used to at friends home for tasty food.

Although I was good at studies, I was not good at Mathematics and Science. I was good at English and Nepali. I loved stories and the pictures in the books.

Education was not like today. We used to memorize the content. There was no free writing. Once in the exam, we needed to read many essays and we needed to memorize all the essays. I felt bored to memorize the essays. So, I read the essay about cow. Luckily, the question came off the cow.

II
I passed my School Leave Certificate (SLC) at the age of 15. After completing my exam, I started teaching at a school of Terathum. A whole day, I was in the classroom whereas my parents started searching for a bride for me without my permission.  I didn't know about it. Later, after meeting a future bride, my father told. I said no. He was angry. He was strict as well as stubborn. He didn't prefer to listen to me.  We both were stubborn.

Finally, in the month of Baishak, people were gathered at my home for the marriage function. I was nervous. I threw the clothes that I had worn. I went to the toilet many times. To be honest, I wanted to marry after my Master's Degree but because of my father's pressurization, I got married.

After my marriage, I was less in the house. I got admission in Dhankuta so, I was staying at Dhankuta. On one hand, I was at Dhankuta, on the other hand, my wife Sumita was scolded by my father because of me. My father used to ask about me which she didn't know.

When I was in Dhankuta, I was struggling as I had to do everything myself. In the beginning, it was difficult for me as I had to cook, wash dishes and wash clothes but later I adjusted myself.

In the vacation, I used to go home but as usual, I never preferred to do any work and used to sleep whereas Sumita used to get up early in the morning and used to do all household. It used to be 9:00 pm by completing the household works.

III
I was studying a Bachelor's Degree in English and I was in the second year. My elder daughter was born but I knew after two months. There was no phone system like today. Letters were the only source of information.  My father had sent me a letter which I got after two months. Although I was happy, I couldn't go because of my exams. So, after the exam, I went to see my daughter. I saw my daughter after two and a half months. More than me, my father was happy she was the first grandchild of the family.
IV
Life was moving on. I had completed my Bachelor's Degree. My elder was already one year old and my wife was pregnant again.

When my second child was born, I was teaching in Dharan. After six months, we had a bad experience. The second child died. Unluckily, I couldn't see my son's face.  He was suffering from fever. There were no hospitals in the village. We needed to go to the city which used to take time.

When the son died, my wife and the son were at my wife's parents home. My father blamed Sumita for not taking care of her son. The situation was like that but it was difficult to convince my father. He blamed Sumita and didn't speak for a year but my wife was passion and didn't bother to say anything and I could sense pain in her eyes. After all, she was the mother of a child. No mother prefers her child to die but I believed with the time, everything will be alright.

After a year, she gave birth to a baby boy. I was able to see my son after six months as I was busy with my work. My father scolded me a lot because I didn't come home after a son was born. My home was filled with happiness.

When my son was three years old, my other daughter was born.  When she was four years, another daughter was born.

V
I was a different person. Whatever I did was never planned. I said Sumita to go Dhankuta with me. She was furious. Without any plan, I took the decision. She said that there was no place as well no job, why to go? Although she was angry, she went with me.

We were at the rent house. I had applied for jobs. Finally, I got a job at the school as a Principal. The school name was Anurag Boarding High School and it was run by the British. Quarters were provided for the working staffs.

While staying in Dhanukta, my second daughter and the youngest daughter were staying with us; whereas my elder daughter and son were in Kathmandu. They were admitted to one of the schools and were staying at the hostel. The school was expensive but my good friend provided a scholarship. Not fully but provided half scholarship.

In Anurag Boarding High School, Friday was a half holiday. There were extra activities instead of teaching.  Students used to enjoy this day. Although the school had strict rules and regulations, the teachers were not supposed to beat the students nor scold them.

VI
During those two years, every staff of the school loved my work. Although I gave resignation, many of the staffs said not to give resignation. Those experiences were precious for me because the work taught so many things like how to teach, how to handle students and teachers and how to make a friendly environment.

I gave resignation and left for Kathmandu with my family. We stayed at Maitidevi. My younger brother was staying at Maitidevi. I took out my two children from the hostel and all of my children at the same school.

When I came to Kathmandu, it was difficult for six months as I didn't get the job. I gave tuitions during those six months. I wasn't able to pay the school fee of my children but my friend understood the problem and never complained about it.

After six months, I got a job at one of the colleges as a Vice President. I got a handsome salary. I got opportunities to teach in other colleges too. During that period, I joined a Master's Degree in English at Tribhuwan University.

I studied in the morning and taught in the day time. I used to arrive at home in the evening when my children were sleeping and used to leave home when they were sleeping.  I couldn't spend my time with my family.

After three years, our life was changed. My colleague suggested filling the form for the United Kingdom.  Although I was not interested, I filled the form. In the beginning, I didn't tell my family about the form because I wasn't sure about the chance.

After some months, I got the news that my friend and I were selected for the United Kingdom. There were mixed emotions. I told my family. My family was happy and my father told to go as it was a good opportunity. Before leaving Nepal, I gave TOEFL and selected University and got full scholarship in TESOL for Master's Degree. It was the month of July and I left Nepal.

VII
It was hard for me to stay in the United Kingdom. I had to do my own stuff. While staying in the UK, I got an opportunity to learn so many things. One was to respect the work whatever you do. While staying in the UK, I was able to differentiate between Nepali and the UK's education system. Moreover, I was able to know about manners and etiquette.

VIII
After six months, Sumita applied for the UK. My parents suggested staying together. My younger brother helped with the documents. She got a visa for the UK. When she was about to leave, our youngest daughter cried a lot. After she left, it took many months to adjust without her mother.

We often called at home. Whenever we called at home, our youngest daughter used to cry. Sometimes, we felt guilty about coming to the UK.

Fortunately, my parents were staying with the grandchildren and my youngest wife was with them too but we were worried about our children.

IX
The lifestyle of the UK was different for both of us, especially to my wife. Although she had passed SLC, it was difficult to understand British English. Fortunately, she got a job in the store which was run by Punjabi Family. They loved us and treated like their family but in terms of salary, it was less. Sumita's colleagues used to work at hospitals too in weekends for money and they used to advise Sumita to go on weekends too but she didn't agree as she was happy to work in the store as it was easy to work.

Even I was happy to work in the department store with a small position. The best part was that everyone respected their work whether it was small or big. Although I had completed my Master's Degree from Nepal and was doing from the UK, that didn't matter. What matter was work?  Sometimes, I felt that when I was in Nepal, people could give a job according to my education.

We both saved money by cutting off our demands and unnecessary. We preferred to live in simple and saved money for our children's future.

We stayed in the UK for two years and returned back to Nepal. Our friends suggested us to stay in the UK as there are many opportunities in the UK but our children we needed to go back. Our children were more important than in the UK.

X
It was mid of 2000, we returned back to Nepal. Our family was happy to see us as well as we were happy too. We felt we missed the growing stage of our children.

My father suggested investing the money in land and making a house. So, we searched for lands and houses but they didn't meet our expectations.

Finally, my father saw a beautiful land in Chabhill. He showed us the land and everyone liked it. Immediately, we bought the land.

XI
It was almost one month; we have started making our house. It was the year 2058 B.S. our life changed. Sumita was suffering from fever. We took her to the hospital. She was alright after completing the medicines. After a few weeks, she again suffered from fever and it didn't decrease. Medicines didn't work out. We took her to different hospitals and no doctors cured her. Finally, we took her to Medicare Hospital. Luckily, the doctor was able to identify the problem. She was suffering from depression.

While she was in the hospital, she was not conscious and used to walk with equipment of the hospitals. Nurses used to bring her back. We had sleepless nights. In the beginning, I had no hopes after seeing her conditions but luckily, she won the battle after some months. The medicines worked out.

I was working and many colleagues used to criticize that I do another work and I am not interested in the work. Nobody knew or understood the problem but I ignored that criticism and did my own work.
XII
My wife Sumita was there wherever I needed. I was successful because of my wife's support. If she was not there, I couldn't have reached this position. She never complained when I was not free and gave time to the family.

Although she was not that much educated, she was above the people who were educated. She took care of my parents and children. If she had not to look at our children, they couldn't have been in good culture and hadn't been that much success.

_____________________________________________________________________
Rohit's eyes were full of tears. He turned the last page. There was the letter which was written before the grandfather died.

Dear Grandson,
Life is full of struggle. So, he needs a life partner so that she can see your struggle and be with you. More than that, the children will see their parents struggle and learn from their parents. So, they will be successful in their life.

My wife and children saw my struggle and they are successful. They learned from me. So, Rohit you should get married and settle down so that your partner can understand you and you can understand her too. Your children can learn from you.

                                                                     Your grandfather
                                                                   Ramchandra

Comments

Popular Posts