BEYOND LOVE AND PROMISES

I: The Choice

“Sonam, why aren’t you listening to us?” Mrs. Sharma set down her teacup, the porcelain clinking sharply against the saucer. “Why aren’t you ready to settle down? Rahul is a wonderful man. He is well-educated, well-settled, and runs a successful business. He can offer you stability and a secure future. Why are you turning down such a proposal without even giving it a chance?”

Sonam sat across from her parents on the plush sofa, feeling an overwhelming weight in her chest. The coffee table was scattered with glossy photographs of eligible suitors, their polished smiles staring back at her.

“Did either of you think to ask me what I want before looking at these?” Sonam asked quietly, her gaze fixed on the floor.

Her father sighed, adjusting his glasses as he leaned forward. “Then tell us, Sonam. When do you plan to get married? You’re not getting any younger, and we only want what is best for you.”

Sonam remained silent for a long moment, watching the tension etched into her parents' faces. They were looking for financial safety, a comfortable life built on figures and status. But Sonam didn’t care about balance sheets or family legacies. She wanted a genuine connection—she wanted love.

“Say something, Sonam,” her father pressed, his voice softer this time, seeking an answer.

Taking a deep breath, Sonam looked up. “I love someone.”

Her mother froze. “What?”

“I love someone else,” Sonam repeated, firmer this time.

“Who?” her mother asked, her tone sharpening. “What does he do?”

“Biku. Biku Shrestha.”

Silence stretched across the living room. Her father’s expression hardened. “Biku Shrestha? The junior clerk in my office?”

“Yes. I love him.”

“Sonam, be practical!” her mother interjected, leaning across the table. “Love doesn’t pay the bills. You cannot build a future with a clerk’s salary. What happens when you have children? How will you support a family through life’s hardships without financial security? Think about the reality of it.”

Sonam met her mother’s gaze steadily. “I know money matters, Mom. But what good is a wealthy man if he doesn't love me or make time for me? I would rather build a life with someone who truly cares for me, even if we have less.”

“Don’t be naive, Sonam,” her father warned.

“I’m not being naive,” she replied softly. “I just know what I feel.”

No matter how much her parents reasoned, argued, or pleaded, Sonam remained resolute.

The following afternoon, she invited Biku to meet her at Himalayan Java Coffee. The café was buzzing with the faint hum of conversation and the rich scent of freshly ground espresso. Biku arrived breathless, pulling out a chair opposite her with a anxious expression.

“Why did you call me here so urgently, Sonam?” he asked, glancing around nervously. “Is everything alright at the office?”

“My parents are trying to arrange my marriage,” Sonam said, looking directly into his eyes.

Biku’s shoulders dropped slightly. “Then... you should consider it. You deserve someone from a good family.”

“I love you, Biku.”

Biku went entirely still. The noise of the café seemed to fade into the background. “What?” he stammered, caught off guard.

“I love you,” she repeated, her voice trembling slightly. “Will you marry me?”

A mix of panic and insecurity washed over Biku’s face. He stiffened, leaning back. “No, Sonam. Don’t talk like this. I’m just a clerk—I earn barely enough to support myself. You have a bright future ahead of you with someone equal to your status.”

“I don’t care about status, Biku! I want you.”

“Stop this nonsense!” Biku snapped, his tone turning sharp as he masked his anxiety with anger. “We are entirely wrong for each other. Our worlds are completely different, and a relationship built on impulse won't survive.”

Without waiting for her reply, he stood up abruptly and walked out of the café, leaving her alone at the table.

 II: Fractures

The rejection broke Sonam’s resolve. Returning home, she retreated into her room, refusing to eat or drink. Days passed in a blur of quiet despair until her body gave out from exhaustion and dehydration.

When she collapsed, her panicked parents rushed her to Om Nursing Hospital.

Biku heard the news through a colleague at work. Overcome with guilt and a sudden realization of what he was risking, he rushed to the hospital, finding room 256. Inside, Sonam lay pale and fragile, an IV drip attached to her hand, fast asleep.

Biku walked to the side of her bed, his chest tightening as he took her hand in his. Tears welled in his eyes.

“I’m so sorry, Sonam,” he whispered, his voice cracking. “I was terrified. I thought I wasn't enough for you, and I was scared of what everyone would say. But seeing you like this... I realize how foolish I was. Your love is real, and I was too cowardly to accept it. I love you too.”

Sonam’s eyelashes fluttered open. Seeing Biku beside her, a weak but warm smile spread across her face.

“So...” she whispered softly, “when are we getting married?”

Biku let out a tearful laugh, squeezing her hand. “Whenever you want.”

A week later, they were married in a quiet, modest ceremony. The early months of their marriage were simple and content. Biku preferred that Sonam stay home while he worked, wanting to provide for her entirely. Though Sonam had envisioned pursuing her own career, she agreed out of affection for him, spending her days managing their modest home.

A year passed quickly. On May 5th, Biku’s birthday, Sonam spent the afternoon preparing his favorite meals, decorating the small dining table with care. When Biku returned home at 6:30 PM, the aroma greeted him at the door.

“Something smells incredible,” Biku smiled, setting his coat aside. “What’s the occasion?”

“Two occasions, actually,” Sonam said, walking up to him with a glow in her eyes.

“Two?”

“First, happy birthday,” she said, stepping closer.

“Thank you,” he smiled warmly. “And the second?”

Sonam gently took his hand and placed it over her stomach.

Biku froze, staring at her in disbelief. “Are you... serious?”

“Yes,” she beamed.

Overwhelmed with joy, Biku pulled her into a tight embrace. Over the next few weeks, his excitement was uncontainable. Almost every evening, he brought home tiny clothes, toys, and baby supplies.

Sonam looked at the growing pile of gifts with fondness, though a slight worry crossed her mind. “Biku, you don't need to buy so much right now. We should save as much as we can for the future.”

“Don’t worry about the finances, Sonam,” Biku reassured her, kissing her forehead. “I’ll work harder. I just want our baby to have everything.”

However, their joy was short-lived. A few months later, Sonam began experiencing sudden severe pain and persistent bleeding. What initially seemed like a minor complication rapidly escalated. Despite being rushed to the clinic, the doctors could not save the pregnancy.

The loss hit the household like a physical blow. In the weeks that followed, grief turned into bitterness. Stress over mounting medical bills and Biku’s sudden lay-off at work exacerbated the tension between them.

One evening, an argument boiled over in the small living room.

“If you had just taken rest like I told you, this wouldn't have happened!” Biku yelled, his own grief twisting into misplaced blame. “You weren't careful!”

Sonam stared at him, tears of anger and hurt spilling over. “How can you say that to me? Do you think I wanted this? I lost our baby too, Biku! You are taking all your frustrations about losing your job out on me!”

Biku, overwhelmed and unable to process his anger, pointed toward the front entrance. “Just leave, Sonam! Just get out!”

Hurt beyond words, Sonam stood silently for a moment, looking at the man she had fought her family to marry. Without another word, she pulled her coat on and walked out into the dark night.

A heavy rainstorm had settled over the city, lightning cracking across the sky as she walked the long distance back to her parents' house. Drenched and shivering, she stood at the main gate, her strength fading. A pair of headlights cut through the rain as a car pulled up. The window rolled down, revealing her mother’s startled face.

“Sonam?”

“Mom...” Sonam sobbed.

Her mother rushed out of the car, throwing an umbrella over her as she wrapped her arms around her weeping daughter. Inside the warmth of her childhood home, Sonam broke down, telling her parents everything that had happened over the past year.

Her mother sat beside her, drying her hair with a towel. “I know it hurts, my child,” her mother said quietly. “He was not the right partner for you. But what’s done is done. Focus on healing now. You are home, and we will help you move forward.”

 III: A Different Path

Determined to rebuild her life, Sonam began working at her father’s firm, taking on administrative responsibilities. Work gave her structure, though the quiet moments of the day often brought back memories of Biku. Part of her still held onto the past, but time was slowly dimming the pain.

One afternoon, a knock sounded on her office door.

“Come in,” Sonam called out.

Her secretary, Sophie, stepped inside with a scheduling folder. “Ma'am, a reminder about tomorrow’s partnership meeting at 2:00 PM.”

“Thank you, Sophie. Is the team from Smrik Enterprises fully confirmed?”

“Yes, all set.”

The following day, representatives from Smrik Enterprises arrived to discuss a joint venture aimed at expanding both companies' reach. At 2:30 PM, the lead consultant walked into the conference room, offering an apologetic smile.

“My sincere apologies for the slight delay,” he said smoothly, bowing his head gracefully. “Traffic near the intersection was entirely backed up. I am Aditya.”

“No problem at all, Aditya,” Sonam replied, offering a professional handshake. “Welcome.”

The meeting lasted three hours, marked by clear communication and mutual respect. Aditya was perceptive, articulate, and highly pragmatic. As the discussion concluded, he turned to Sonam. “It’s clear your team has built a solid foundation here. I look forward to working together.”

Over the following months, their professional relationship evolved into a genuine friendship. Aditya’s calm demeanor and steady advice proved invaluable, not only for business operations but also during moments when Sonam felt overwhelmed by personal stress. Slowly, as they shared lunches and late-night work sessions, Sonam opened up to him about her past marriage, her loss, and her lingering doubts. Aditya listened without judgment, offering a steady, reassuring presence.

IV: Resolution

One evening, while helping her mother prepare dinner, Mrs. Sharma observed Sonam chatting comfortably on the phone with Aditya. After Sonam hung up, her mother approached her gently.

“You smile more these days, Sonam.”

“Aditya has been a great support with the new project, Mom.”

“He is a fine man,” her mother noted carefully. “Have you ever considered taking a step forward with him?”

Sonam paused. “Mom, please. We are business partners and good friends.”

“Love isn't always a dramatic storm, Sonam,” her mother said softly. “Sometimes, a true friend makes the best partner for life. Someone who respects you, supports your growth, and stays steady when times get tough. Think about your future.”

Sonam fell silent. She reflected on the contrast between her passion with Biku—which had burned bright but fractured under pressure—and the steady, respectful warmth she shared with Aditya.

Unbeknownst to her, Aditya had also grown deeply fond of Sonam. Yet, aware of her history and wanting to respect her boundaries, he kept his feelings unspoken, choosing instead to remain a reliable presence in her life.

A week later, after much thought, Sonam finalized her decisions and sent legal divorce papers to Biku.

When Biku received the documents, the reality of losing Sonam permanently finally broke through his isolation. Remorseful and desperate to fix his past mistakes, he sought a chance to speak with her face-to-face.

A few days later, Sonam stepped out of her office building alongside Aditya, laughing at a lighthearted joke. As they approached the street, she caught sight of a figure standing near the courtyard entrance. It was Biku.

Sonam stopped, a brief wave of discomfort crossing her face.

Biku stepped forward, looking worn and anxious. “Sonam... can I please speak with you for a moment?”

Aditya looked at Sonam, silently asking if she was comfortable. Sonam gave him a small nod, acknowledging that she needed to resolve this. “Give me a few minutes, Aditya.”

Sonam and Biku walked to a nearby, quiet café. Sitting across from him, Sonam noticed how different he seemed. The intense emotions that had once drawn her to him were gone, replaced by the reality of who he was.

Biku broke the awkward silence, his voice trembling. “Sonam, I am so sorry. For everything. The way I treated you, the terrible things I said after we lost the baby... I was broken, but that is no excuse. I've secured a good job now. I can give you the stability you deserve. Please... come back. Let’s give our life a second chance.”

Sonam looked at him calmly, feeling a quiet sense of closure rather than anger.

“Biku,” she said gently, her voice firm. “When I left your home that night in the rain, I waited for you. I waited for days, hoping you would realize your mistake and come get me. But you didn't.”

Biku lowered his head, unable to meet her eyes.

“I have moved past that grief,” Sonam continued. “I have learned that marriage requires more than just intense feelings—it requires respect, emotional maturity, and true partnership. You were my husband, Biku, but when things became difficult, you failed to be my friend.”

She reached into her bag, pulling out the duplicate copy of the divorce agreement and placing it on the table.

“I am building a life with someone who respects me and stands by me as an equal. Please sign the papers and send them to my father’s office. I wish you well, but we are done.”

Sonam stood up, adjusted her coat, and walked out of the café without looking back.

Biku sat alone for a long time staring at the papers. Realizing that his actions had irrevocably broken her trust, he finally signed the documents the next day and returned them.

Not long after the legal proceedings were finalized, Sonam and Aditya were married in an intimate ceremony surrounded by family and close friends. Built on mutual respect, clear communication, and deep friendship, their relationship offered Sonam the enduring happiness and security she had sought all along.

Comments

Popular Posts