NEPALI MOVIES



Last time my friend called , we started talking about films. She said she had been to the theater that day. "Why didn't you take me along? By the way, which movie did you watch?" I asked. "What's Your Raashee?" "Thank God, I didn't go, I thought. I told her I would rather watch movies like Mero Euta Saathi Chha and Kusume Rumal. "Nepali Movie?" she squeaked in disbelief.

Its not my friend's fault that she's not the least bit interested in Nepali films. I am not much into them either. It;s the fault of those who make rubbish films. Honestly, very few good quality Nepali movies have ever been made. Some facts of Nepali movies I just can never fathom.

Why are there fight scenes in all Nepali movies be they comedy or romance? Why do filmmakers put extra dancers in songs to sashay behind the hero and heroine like drunken idiots? Why do filmmakers copy Hindi movies and Hindi songs? Why do they keep meaningless songs at all? Who is the target audience, I wonder.

And aren't there any actors who can actually act in Nepali film industry? The last Nepali movie I watched, I swear anyone picked up am the street would have given a better performance. Then, there are movie names, again copied from Bollywood movies. Some of them, I tell you, are worse than the ill-timed sound-bites of our politicians.

The current crop of Nepali movies is the worst ever. In older films, at least the songs were good, actors tolerable, lyrics bearable, and dance, see-able. Now, there is nothing to see. It seems film makers are not serious about their works. It seems they don't plan before making movies. whenever I watch the promos of Nepali movies, I have no clue why people ever bother to see them. If the promos do any job, it is of discouraging even the handful who actually do want to see movie or two.

Most of my friends in college say Nepali movies either make them laugh or irritate them.Why? Because in each promo they show heroes jumping off from trees like monkeys. Why should they go to a movie hall to watch jumping apes while they can do it in the comfort of their homes on Discovery channel, and that too far free?

They ask how Nepali movies can be improved. The way I see it, the directors and producers could use a bit of common sense, for starters. How can a man jump off a 10-storey building right into a speeding car without a parachute? Why doesn't the dear director try doing it himself? At least we would then have one less to bear with.

Comments

  1. Good job. Excellent. I was just going thru' to know how freely a page could be hosted for blogging. found your good blog. keep rolling. regards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts