PERSPECTIVES


I
“Mom, please stop it. Why don’t you understand that I don’t want to get married? This is not the right age to get married. Please, let me study.” Jenny said.

She started reading the book named ‘The Gone Girl’ of Gillian Flynn. She was fond of reading books. In her room, most of the spaces were occupied with books. She used to give her time for books rather than other matters. Besides reading, she was fond of listening to classic songs. She loved writing poems and short stories.

Talking more about her, she had completed her Master’s Degree in Social Work. She was doing another Master’s Degree in Human Rights and was in the final year. Furthermore, she was working as Program Manager in one of the reputed NGO in the department of Women’s Equality. When she started doing her job, her mother started talking about marriage. But Jenny was a focus on her studies and career. Jenny never preferred listening about marriage. Whenever her mother showed the photos of guys, she rejected all the guys without looking at those photos.

When she was reading ‘The Gone Girl,’ her mother came near to Jenny said, “Please, stop it. One day, you have to get married.  What’s wrong in meeting a guy? Please, meet this guy. He is a nice guy. I hope you will like this guy. Likewise, if you didn’t like the guy, you can reject him.“

“Mom,” she made her face and kept her book on the bed. She, further, said, “Mom, you know that I am not interested in getting married. I am focused on my career and studies.”

“After marriage, you can continue your studies and career. In this age, not any husband will stop his wife for career and studies. Jenny, for my sake, please meet this guy.”

Jenny felt that she was blackmailed by her mother. So, this time, for the sake of her mother, she said yes to meet the guy.

II
It was Saturday. Rajesh with his family was coming to see Jenny at 6:30 pm. Jenny’s mother was happy that she agreed to meet the guy. The time showed 5:30 pm, all of the family members were preparing themselves. On the one hand, Jenny was not interested in cook but was forced to cook by her mother. On the other hand, she wore an orange sari which her mother selected for her. She was insisting on her to wear it. She did little makeup to match with the sari.

The nearer the time, she was feeling anxious and her heart was beating faster. Although she was feeling anxious, she knew that she will reject the guy as she was not interested to marry any guy at the moment.

The doorbell rang. When Jenny heard the doorbell, she was feeling edgy as well as shy. Her mother opens the door. Both the families greeted each other.  Then, Jenny’s mother showed the house to the family. After showing the house, they were in the living room.  Jenny’s father too joined the conversation. 

Both the families were exchanging the conversation. From Rajesh’s side, Rajesh with his parents and sister were at Jenny’s house. He completed his MBA from Ace College and was working in the reputed bank. He has been working in the bank for five years. He wanted to study in the abroad but his visa was rejected five times so, he dropped his plan to go abroad. He was the topper of the college.

Talking about his look, he was neither handsome nor bad. He was 5 feet 8 inch tall. He had worn the white shirt with black pant and black coat. Although, he was feeling nervous and awkwardness, he was feeling uncomfortable. That’s why he was looking here and there. Meanwhile, Rajesh’s father said, “So, why don’t Jenny and Rajesh exchange the conversation so that they can feel comfortable?”

Everyone agreed. So, both went to the balcony with a cup of tea.  The environment was silent. They didn’t know how to start a conversation. Both looked at each other and gave a smile. They were looking here and there.  After five minutes, Rajesh started a conversation.

“What do you do?”

“I work at NGO as a program manager in the department of Women’s Equality. Besides work, I am doing another Master’s Degree in Human Rights.”

The environment was again silent. He didn’t show any reaction and drank a few sips of tea. She, then, said, “What do you do?”

“I work at Bank. I have completed MBA. I don’t have any plans to do another Master’s Degree like you.”

They both smiled and drank a few sips of tea. “So, besides working and studying, what do you do?” Rajesh said.

“I love reading novels and biographies as well as I love listening to classic songs. Furthermore, I love writing poems and short stories.”  She smiled.

“Are those published?”

“Not in the newspapers but I have my blog. I post in my blog.”

“Ok. Honestly, I don’t prefer reading and writing.”

“And what do you do?”

"I love watching movies. I love reading the economics section.  Likewise, I love traveling. Although I don’t know how to cook, I enjoy different kinds of food.”

“And what do you think of getting married?” She asked Rajesh.

He remained silent and looked at her for a while. He didn’t know what to answer. He was thinking about the answer. So, finally, he thought to tell the truth.

“Actually, I don’t want to get married. I am focused on my career. For the sake of my mother, I came to see you. I don’t think this is the right time to get married.”

He remained silent and again looked at Jenny. He thought she was upset with his answer. He again added, “I am sorry. I said whatever I thought.”

“That’s fine. I also think the same way you think. I am also focused on my career. For the sake of mother, I said yes to see you. Otherwise, I was not interested to get married.”

“So, what are we supposed to tell our parents?”

“We will say we didn’t like each other.”

They both smiled. After a few hours, Rajesh and his family left the home after having lunch. Rajesh’s family loved the food and was praising the food.

When Rajesh and his family left, Jenny felt a kind of relief. She went inside the room and her mother followed her. Her mother said, “Did you like Rajesh?”

“No.” She kept her earring on the table.

“What? I liked the guy.”

“Then, marry him. How can I judge a guy at the first meeting? Until and unless we meet frequently and know each other, how can I say yes to the guy? We don’t know each other. For your sake, I said yes to see the guy.”

Her mother was fed up with her daughter. She was amazed why Jenny wasn’t interested to get married. More than that, Jenny’s mother was worried about the age of Jenny. Jenny was already at the age of 30 plus.  She was worried about who will marry her at this age.

III
Jenny was in the office. After a lunch, she was stuck on the Facebook. Meanwhile, she started searching for Rajesh Poudel in the Facebook. She clicked the profile of him. She was looking at each photo of Rajesh. At the first, she was confused about whether she should add him or not. At the third time, she sends him friend request to Rajesh Poudel. On the one hand, she was confused about whether she was doing right or not.  On the other hand, she was panicky whether he will accept her friend request and what he will think about her.

After a few hours, he accepted her friend request. She saw him online.
Jenny:  Hi
Rajesh: Hi
Rajesh: How are you?
Rajesh: Good and you?
Jenny: Good. Where are you?
Rajesh: Office and how about you? Where are you?
Jenny: Office. Can I ask you something?
Rajesh: Sure. Ask.
Jenny: Can we be friends?
Rajesh: Sure

While she was chatting with Rajesh, her colleague called her. She said bye to Rajesh and went with her colleague for her work.

Every day, Rajesh and Jenny chatted online. They became good friends. They shared almost everything with each other. More than the chat, they frequently met.

It was Saturday, 6:30 pm. They both were sitting on the rooftop of Red Carpet, Durbar Marg. They ordered black coffee and two plates of non-vegetarian mo: mo.

“My mom searched another girl for me.” He started a conversation.
“Have you met her?”

“No.”

“So, are you planning to meet her?”

“Don’t know.”

“So, what do you want to do?”

“I don’t want to marry.”

“I think you should meet her.”

Meanwhile, their black coffee with mo: mo were on the table. After a few sips of black coffee, Rajesh said, “If I didn’t like her?”

“If you like her, then?”

He remained silent. Then, again, he took a sip of black tea and a few pieces of mo: mo. Jenny added, “If you didn’t like her at the firsts meeting, then, meet her often. If that doesn’t work, reject her.”

He agreed and had mo: mo and other food items together. They enjoyed the night. And after spending a few hours with each other, they left the place.

When she reached home, she started looking at the sky. She was feeling different. Whenever she met Rajesh, she felt happy and comfortable. When he talked about girls, she felt jealous. She didn’t know why she was feeling jealous. She didn’t realize that she was in love.

IV
Rajesh and Jenny were meeting after three weeks. For Jenny, it was like one year. She wanted to express her feelings. But she was terrified because at the beginning she had rejected him. However, after meeting him, she started knowing him and started liking him.

Actually, they both wanted to meet each other. On the one hand, Jenny was feeling nervous and on the other hand, Rajesh was excited.

“Actually, I wanted to tell something.” They said at the same time.

“You say first.” Again they said at the same time.

“No, you say first because you seem happy and excited.”

“Ok, you know that time when I talked about a girl.”

“Yes, a girl who was searched by your mom.”

“Yes.”

“What happened?”

 “We are getting married after a month.”

“Really? I am so happy for you.”  But she wasn’t happy.

“You were right. As told by you, I met her. We often met and I started liking her. I found her matured and understanding. Actually, not only me, she also liked me. So, we decided to marry.”

She remained silent and her heart was broken. Her eyes were full of tears. When Rajesh saw tears in her eyes, he said, “No. Actually, I am happy for you. It’s just that I am shocked. That’s all.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes.”

“Were you supposed to tell something?”

“No. I just wanted to ask about a girl and whether you met her or not. But you are supposed to get married. Can I know her name?”

“Jenny.”

She was amazed. He was observing her. She was looking serious.

“Haha. I was just joking. Her name is Alia.”

She gave a fake smile. “Will you show me her photo?”

“Why the photo? You will meet her next week.”

After the conversation, they left the place. When she reached home, she cried a lot and blamed herself for rejecting Rajesh. She felt guilty for not giving an opportunity to know Rajesh. If she had given herself an opportunity to know Rajesh, she had a possibility of marrying Rajesh. In place of Alia, she could be there. But time doesn’t go back and doesn’t give another chance.

This incident changed her behavior in somehow. Sometimes, she used to get lost in her thoughts and most of the times; she used to get stuck by looking at the photos of Rajesh. Sometimes, she was not getting what she was doing. She wanted to move ahead but wasn’t able to do so. She was waiting for the heal of her pain. She was hoping for the best.

V
“What has happened to you, Jenny?”
“Why? Nothing has happened to me?”
“Then, why didn’t you respond to my phone and messages?”
“I was too busy with my office work.”
“But at least, you could have told me.”
“What to tell you? It’s my job. Moreover, you are also busy with your job and preparation for marriage.”

He remained silent and on the other side, Jenny hung up with a phone. She felt stress. They both haven’t met for almost three weeks and Rajesh was insisting Jenny to meet Alia but Jenny was ignoring Rajesh.

Later, she felt guilty for speaking indecently with Rajesh. On the very next day, she called to apologize.
Jenny: Hello
Rajesh: Hello
Jenny: I called you to say sorry. I was feeling regret by behaving rudely. I shouldn’t have been so. I am really sorry.
Rajesh: That’s ok. I called you because I needed a friend. I wanted a friend to help me with my marriage. And you were insisting to meet Alia.
Jenny: Ok. Let’s meet today after the office.

Rajesh agreed. They met at Civil Mall, New Road.  Alia had also joined them. Alia and Rajesh were focused on each other rather than Jenny. Although Alia and Jenny were introduced, they weren’t interested to exchange the conversation with each other. When Rajesh and Alia were exchanging a conversation, Jenny was jealous. She was looking at Alia. She preferred not to sit there with them. So, she made an excuse and left the place. Rajesh found her behavior strange but didn’t say anything. Although he wanted her to be with her, he didn’t stop her.

After two weeks, Rajesh and Alia got married.

VI
After one year…
Jenny was with her husband at A-One restaurant, New Baneshwor. Two months ago, Abhi and Jenny got married.  For Jenny, those two months were amazing because Abhi as a husband was positive and understanding.

They ordered their favorite foods. They enjoyed the night. When she was talking with her husband, she saw Rajesh in the corner of the table. He was alone and smoking. She wanted to talk with him as it has been the long time they haven’t met.

“Hey, Abhi. I will come back in a few minutes. I saw my friend.  I will say hi to him.” She showed Abhi her friend and he agreed.

She went near to Rajesh. “Can I join you?”
“Hey. Sure. Have a sit. What a surprise.“
“Yes, it's surprising. We haven’t met for a year. What are you nowadays?”
“I am in a new bank.  I am in a new post and I am happy with my new post. And how about you?”
“I am working in NGO and I am promoted. More than the job, I got married.”
“Congratulations.”
“Thank You.”
“And how is Alia doing?”
He remained silent. He didn’t prefer speaking about her.
“What happened? Why are you so silent?”
“We got divorced?”
“What?” Jenny was shocked.
“Yes. We got divorced five months ago.”
“But how? And why?”

He looked tense. And he finally spoke.  “She was the focus on her career. She was ambitious.  I didn’t like the way she was:  the way she dressed up and the way she talked. In front of parents, she has worn the dress she liked. If she didn’t like any, she said directly to my parents.  The dress and words hurt me a lot. She should have dressed the other wives do. She could have agreed to whatever my parents said.  I don’t like the way she was socialized.”

“She has her own way of her own way of her life. She has her right to decide what she should wear or not. If she doesn’t like anything, she has to speak. If her tone was rude, then, only you have the objection. Was she rude, behaved badly or worn the dress vulgarly?”

“No. She wasn’t rude or worn vulgarly but society doesn’t accept it nor do I?”

“What? You are so educated and you are living in a conservative mind. You should be open-minded.  I thought you have the way of understanding. But now I feel happy that I am not married to you. I wish Alia gets better than you who has open-minded, not like you. I just feel lucky that my husband is understanding and open-minded.”

Meanwhile, her husband came near and said, “Did you finish your talk with your friend?”

“Sorry. I thought he was my friend but he is a stranger. I was confused but I am clear that he is not my friend anymore. Let’s go, Abhi to have food.”

She enjoyed the night with her husband who cares for her and loves her more than anything.

















Comments

Popular Posts