GAME OF LOVE AND BETRAYAL


I
It was raining terrifically and it was already 10:00 pm. But Sweta was awake. The rain was not disturbing her. She was looking at the photo of her husband Anup who died one year ago in car accident. Tears were rolling from the eyes and she started remembering the beautiful days spent with her husband. When she was lost in her husband’s memory, somebody knocked on her door and she was distracted. When she opened the door, she saw her mother-in-law and sat on the bed. Sweta too sat on the bed.

“What are you doing till now?”

“Just.” She again looked at the photo of Anup which was on the side table. Her mother-in-law too looked at the photo and she immediately looked at Sweta. “Look, Sweta, please stop living like this. I have already told you to move ahead. Please marry. I cannot see you like this. Whatever happened, please forget. He died in a car accident. You should live your life. You should have a colour life.”

Sweta wanted to say something and the doorbell rang.  Sweta was supposed to open the door but her mother-in-law insisted her to sleep. Her mother-in-law opens the door. When she opens the door, she was surprised as well as she got emotional. The person was no other than Ashush who was the best friend of Anup from childhood. Anup and Ashush knew them since their childhood. They used to often visit each other house. They were considered brothers. After a long period of time, he came to Anup’s home.

“Sorry, Auntie. I troubled you in the night.”

She was happy and welcomed him. They sat on the sofa. Ashush looked here and there. In the meantime, he said, “Sorry Auntie that I was not in the marriage ceremony as well as funeral ceremony. Due to my busy schedule, I was not here in Nepal. Later, I changed my mind and came back to Nepal. I felt guilty for not being you in a happy and sad moment so I planned to return back. I felt I should be with my friend’s family.”

Anup’s was speechless and mute. She was accepting Ashush to be with them in a sad moment as Anup was only one child of the family. She was looking and listening to Ashush. She can see her son’s face in Ashush. She said, “You seem tired. We will talk tomorrow.”

The next day, everyone was drinking tea. Meanwhile, Sweta came into the living room and made tea for herself. She was feeling tired as well as asleep. It seemed she hadn’t slept for many days. Ashush was observing her. She was feeling nervous when he was looking at her. After drinking tea, she left the room.



II
It has been six months that Ashush was handling the office of Anup. When Ashush started to look after the office, the office was in the right track. After the death of Anup, the company went into loss but now it was in the right track. Likewise, when Ashush started living in Anup’s house, Anup’s parents were happy. More than Anup’s parents, Sweat was happier. There was a change in the behaviour of Sweta. She started to smile. She started to like Ashush.

It was Friday evening and everyone was sitting in the living room. Everyone was watching television. In the meantime, Anup’s mother said,”Ashush and Sweta, I want to say something to both of you.”

“Yes, mom. Please tell.” Sweta said.

“I and Anup’s father were thinking that why don’t you and Sweta get married. I want Sweta to be happy and settle down. We will be happy if Sweta gets married.”

Both of them were shocked and were looking at each other’s face. They both didn’t accept this until now. Then Sweta said, “What? What are you talking mom? Am I too much for you? Do you want me to go away from you and dad? How can you say that? I cannot go away from the memories of Anup and this house?”

She started crying and left the room. Her mother-in-law followed her and was trying to convince her daughter-in-law. After many attempts of trying, finally, both of them agreed. Both of them will be staying at Anup’s house.

III

On December 15, 2017, they both got married. After the marriage ceremony, they were in their room. The time showed 7:30 pm. They both were serious. They were on the bed. They were on the bed. They were looking at each other. After a few minutes, they laughed.

“Finally, we got married,” Ashush said.

“But I was frightened, Ashush. I thought our plan won’t be a success.”
“Didn’t you have fate on me?”

“Yes, I had and will have fate on you. But after the car accident, I thought the police would catch us. I was distressed.”

“I love you more than Anup.” He got up from the bed. She too stood from the bed and went nearby Ashush.

“I wanted to kill Anup from a long period of time. Since childhood, everybody used to compare me with Anup. Be like Anup. Most of the time, my parents used to compare me with me by saying a study like Anup, play like Anup and do a job like Anup.

When he grew up and became successful, my parents complained that I was a loser. They felt that I cannot be successful like Anup. More than that, he got married to you whom I loved more than Anup. He stole you from me. I was jealous. From childhood to youth, I was compared to him. He was not my best friend. He was my enemy.

So, when I came to Nepal from Thailand, Anup and I met. I forced him to drink so that the accident seemed to drink and drive. I didn’t go with him so that he can die alone. When he died, it was proved that he died in the accident. It was drunk and driving accident. After his death, I again back to Thailand. Now, the property and office are in our name. I am happy. Now, nobody can come in between us.”

“When mother talked about our marriage, I was excited but couldn’t show it. It was hard for me to pretend that I still love Anup. I thought I couldn’t act more but you were there to support me.”

They both hugged each other. She again said, “Now, what next?”

“Just be nice and do what are you doing till now. They shouldn’t have doubt on us. For property and you, I planned a lot. Anup’s parents should not know about it. I had a problem with Anup only, not with his parents. Now, we have property, we don’t need to scare. We can do whatever we want. Wait for the right time, everything will be fine.”

Both smiled and hugged each other.

Comments

Popular Posts