ALISHA AND SOPHIE'S STORY


I
“Mom and dad, please stop it. Why are you after my marriage? I have already told you that I am not interested to get married. Why are you so interested in my marriage? Cannot you see my happiness being single?”  Alisha said.

All three of them were looking at each other. They were in the dining table and were having their food. Most of the important discussions are talked in either in the kitchen or in the dining table. Meanwhile, Alisha’s mother said, “You are already in the age of getting married. At your age, I gave birth to you.  But what’s wrong with you? You are already 32 and still, you don’t want to get married. Alisha’s father why don’t you say anything to your lovely daughter? You have pampered your daughter than anything else.”

He kept the spoon in the table and then looked at Alisha. She too looked at her father. Then, he said, “Look, Alisha. Your mother is right. You have to marry. We have looked a guy for you. You are meeting him tomorrow. He is coming tomorrow at our home for dinner.”

“Dad, you started. I don’t want to meet any guy.” She made her face. 

“You have to meet this guy. He is fit for you. We have met him. He is a nice buy. You both look nice couple.”

His finished his dinner and left the dinner table. Alisha’s mother too finished the dinner and left the dinner table. She gave an entry in the kitchen. Meanwhile, Alisha was shocked and in dilemma. She felt that she was in a difficult situation. Furthermore, she wanted to share her problem with her mother but she knew what the reactions of her mother as well as her father.
The next day, Alisha was getting ready. Although she didn’t prefer to meet the guy, for the sake of parents she was meeting the guy. The time showed 9:30 am. The guys with his family were arriving at 10:00 am for lunch. Alisha was looking at the mirror. She felt different.  She felt like she shouldn’t meet the guy and felt that she should tell the truth but she was petrified.

The doorbell rang. She came into reality. She looked at the table clock. The time showed 10:15 am. Her heart started beating faster. Although she heard the talk, she doesn’t hear the talks clearly. She was unaware of what’s happening in the living room.

After half an hour, Alisha was called. Her mother gave entry to the room of Alisha. Her mother said, “Let’s go in the living room. Meet him and have a conversation with him.”

Both went into the living room. Alisha looked at the guy. Both looked at each other.  More than the girl, the guy was feeling shy. The guy’s family liked Alisha.

Meanwhile, the guy’s mother said, “So, you have completed an MBA?”

“Yes.”

“Do you work?”

“Yes.”

“Where do you work?”

“Mega Bank.”

The environment was silent. Everyone eye was on Alisha. Alisha felt uncomfortable and nervous. The guy’s mother understood the situation of Alisha and said, “Why don’t you guys meet alone and have a talk so that you can know each other."

Alisha’s mother showed the balcony.  Alisha and the guy left the living room and both went to the balcony. Although she wasn’t interested in the guy, she pretended to have a talk with him. Both were looking at each other.

After a few minutes, the guy said, “I am Abhi. I have completed my MBA and I am been working at the bank.”

“So?” She said in the angry mood.

He looked at Alisha. He didn’t why she was getting angry. He wanted to say something but couldn’t. Meanwhile, Alisha said, “Look, Abhi.  I am not interested to marry you. Please, tell your family that you didn’t like me.”

 The environment was silent. On the one hand, she wasn’t focused on him.  On the other hand, Abhi was focused on Alisha and said, “What should I tell for rejection? At the first meeting, we cannot know each other well. I cannot say that I dislike you at the moment. Let’s meet frequently and know each other. Then, let’s decide whether we should marry or not?”

Alisha remained silent. She had no words to say. She wanted Abhi to reject her. They both remained silent. When Alisha was about to say something, they both were called. They both sat on the dining table. Everyone was having but Alisha wasn’t happy.

After having some spoon of food, Abhi said, “I made a decision that Alisha and I should meet frequently so that we can know each other. After knowing each other, we can know whether we are made for each other or not.”

Both the families were happy and agreed.  Alisha made her face. She wasn’t interested to meet him.  She had been forced to meet him. What should she have a conversation when she meets him frequently?

They met frequently. He spoke a lot and she preferred to remain silent. Whenever she met him, she felt like she had been punished. She didn’t prefer talking and listening to him. 

II
“Sophie, I don’t want to get married to Abhi.”

“I know but what will you do?”

“I want to tell them the truth.”

They looked at each other. They were on the balcony. The environment remained silent. Sophie was a good friend of Alisha. They were friends since their childhood. They shared everything and knew everything about each other.

Meanwhile, Sophie said, “Are you sure that you will tell the truth?”

“What should I do then? Neither I can marry nor tell the truth.”

When they were talking, they heard someone's footstep. They looked back. Alisha's mother came with two cups of coffee. For the moment, they both were scared as well as nervous. In the meantime, Alisha's mother said, "I am tired of Alisha."

"Why Auntie?"

"I have told many times to Alisha to get settle down but she doesn't listen. Now, you have come here to stay for a week and I have a hope that you will be able to convince your best friend to settle down."

"If she isn't interested to get married then why are you imposing her to get married? If she is happy being single, then let it be. Auntie, you don't have to be worried about her. She will manage her life."

"You also started. What's happening to nowadays youngster? Why are you scared of getting married?"

She left the room with the frustration mood. She thought it was useless to talk about marriage with them.

When Alisha’s mother left, Sophie said, "So, what do you think?"

"I should wait for the right time."

"But in the name of the right time, don't miss the opportunity."

"You too Sophie. I hope you too will not miss the right opportunity to say the truth."

Sophie agreed with Alisha. She was staying with Alisha for a week to give her a company.

III

Can we meet today in the afternoon?" Abhi said.

She remained silent. She wanted to say no. Before she would say no, he said, "Don't say no. Please, meet me at 'The Coffee Shop,' Durbar Marg." He dragged to the red button. She didn't get an opportunity to say anything.

After a telephonic conversation with Abhi, she dialled the number of Sophie's number.   After two caller tune, she received the call and said, "Hey, how are you doing?"

Without wasting time, Alisha said, “He wants to meet me today at Durbar Marg. I don't want to meet him."

"Listen, don't panic. Meet him and tell him the truth. Hope he shall understand you."
"Ok." she agrees.

The time showed 2:30 pm and he was waiting for Alisha. Most of the time, he was focused on watch and door. When he was concentrating on the door, he saw Alisha coming inside the coffee shop. He observed her and loved what she had worn. She had worn pink kurta salwar. She had untied the hair. For a moment, he was lost in her.

When she didn't see him, he went near to her. He went near to her and said, "Hey."

She looked back and saw him. She gave a fake smile and sat on the reserved table. After a while, Abhi said, "You look beautiful."

"Thank You."

They both remained silent. Meanwhile, a male waiter came near to their table and said, "Hello sir and ma'am. What do you want to have?"

"What do you want to have Alisha?"

"Milk Coffee."

"Only milk coffee."

"Yeah."

"Ok."
He ordered two milk coffees. By thanking waiter, he said, "Actually, I want to say something."
"I too want to say something."

"You said first so you start."

"I started falling in love with you. I want to marry you."

She wasn't amazed whatever Abhi said. She knew that he had started liking her. Both looked at each other. In the interval, two cups of milk were brought.

After one sip, Alisha said, "Sorry, Abhi. I don't have any kind of feelings for you. I don't want to marry you. I am in a relationship."

"Please, don't joke. Say that you love me."

"No, Abhi. I am in a relationship. I was in a relationship before I met you. I wanted to tell you this before but you didn't give me an opportunity. When you first came to see me, I told you to reject me but you preferred to meet frequently. Furthermore, my parents were pressuring me to get married. I didn't prefer talking to them about the relationship. They don't like my relationship."

Abhi remained silent. Alisha, on the other hand, looked at him. He felt downhearted. He looked here and there. He wasn't able to look at Alisha's face.

After observing Abhi, Alisha said, "Sorry for breaking your heart. You will get better girls than me but we can be good friends. I hope you will understand me. When you meet my family, I anticipate that you will reject." By saying those words, she left the shop. When she reached home, she called her best friend Sophie and explained everything.

"Don't worry. Everything will be alright. Wait for the right time and we will tell the truth to our families. Be cool and calm."

"All right." Both of them disconnected the phone. 

IV
"What did you say to Abhi? He rejected you." Alisha's mother said.

Alisha remained silent. She focused on the curry which her mother was making. Alisha didn't prefer looking at her mother. Without looking at her, Alisha said, "What did he say to you?"

In the beginning, he said that he started liking you but now he had changed his mind. I have a doubt that you might have said something to him. As a result, he rejected you." Her mother said with anger.

After watching the facial expression of her mother, she said, "Actually, he didn't reject me."

"What?" She gave a shocking expression. She switched off the gas.

"What are you saying?" She added again.

"Yes, mom. Two days, we had met in the coffee shop. He proposed to me and he said he wanted to marry me but I rejected him."

"What are you saying? You rejected him. But why? You shouldn't have done that."

The reason that I rejected him was that I loved someone."

The environment was silent. Her mother didn't accept this to happen. This situation made her mother more aggressive.  Alisha was looking continuously at her mother. She was accepting her mother to say something.

Breaking the silence, Alisha's mother said, "Who is the guy?"

"We know each other since childhood. In the beginning, we became good friends. After completing a Bachelor's Degree, he proposed to me. I couldn't say no and said yes. He has gone to America for the PhD. I couldn't say about my boyfriend to you because I thought you could be upset.' Alisha said with nervousness. Her mother preferred not to say anything. Her mother eyes showed that she was upset with Alisha.

In the evening, Alisha's parents were having a conversation. She felt nervous as well as agitated. What would be the reaction of her parents? This thought was killing her. She couldn't sleep the whole night.

It had been more than two days; her parents show no interest in her love. when her parents didn't show interest, she too ignored about the topic.

After the week, they were sitting on the dining table and were having food. Alisha focused on her food whereas her parents were attentive towards Alisha. After having a portion of food, Alisha's father said, "Your mother told about you. In the beginning, I was upset because I felt that why didn't you let us know before."

Again the environment was silent. Alisha looked at her father. She wanted to tell the truth that she doesn't have a boyfriend. She lied to her parents. Although she preferred to tell the truth, she couldn't because of the conservative thought of her parents.

"I wanted to notify about it but felt that you would get distressed. Moreover, he wants to marry after a year. So, I didn't prefer to say anything to you."

Her parents started to an inquiry about the guy. She felt awkward as she had to answer the questions which she doesn't know how to respond. So, she gave a random answer. Whatever came in her mind, she gave the response.

"So, if you guys love each other, we will wait for one year and will meet the guy with his family."  Alisha's father left the dining table. Her mother too left the dining table. She felt that she had been trapped. 

V
Sophie and Alisha were smiling. They were at Park Village, Budhanikatha. They went near to the receptionist.

"Good morning." Receptionist said.

"Good morning, we want a room for today."

"Let me check, ma'am."

"Sure."

The receptionist checked her computer and said, "Ma'am, we have one room left. You are lucky. But the room has a single bed. Will it work for you, ma'am?"

"Sure. It will work."

"Here is your key."

"Thank You."

Their room number was 786. After they got the keys, they pass for their room. When they were passing for their room, Abhi saw them. Abhi got shocked to see both of them.

"Alisha," said Abhi. When she didn't hear him calling, he followed her. They both reached their room. Alisha opened the door and both entered the room. They locked the door. They took a rest for a while.

Sophie came near to Alisha.  They looked at each other and smiled. Sophie kept her hands in Alisha's cheeks. Their lips came closer and both kissed each other and had a physical relationship. Meanwhile, Abhi saw everything from the window and got shocked. He now knew why she rejected him. Now, he knew they both were lesbian.

VI
"Have you gone mad?" Alisha's father said. He got angry.

"What's wrong with falling in love with a girl?"

"What’s wrong? Yes, it's wrong to fall in love with a same-sex. What will society say? You have lost your mind. Before falling in love, didn't you about my reputation? Now, what will people say about us? They will tag us as a lesbian parent and will make fun of us. How will I show my face?"

Alisha's parents were in the stress. They didn't prefer looking at their daughter's face. They both sat on the bed. Alisha went near to them.

"Falling in love with the same sex is not wrong. If I marry the opposite sex and I am not happy with my husband, what is the meaning of living? But if I marry with Sophie and stay happy with her, I will leave the life with meaning. It's all about the perspective, papa. What do you want: my happiness or your reputation? "

Why are you thinking about your own happiness? Why aren't you thinking about us who made you capable in your life? “He said with an aggressive tone.

"You are also thinking of your own reputation. I love her and want to be with her. Please, understand me and my feelings." Tears fell from her eyes.

Her father slapped her. "You are a disease for us. From today, you will stop going out and your mobile will be with us. You will be locked."


She cried and wept. She begged her father but he didn't listen and locked her. The whole night, she couldn't sleep. She was lost in the memory of Sophie. She doesn't know how long she will be locked and will not be able to know about Sophie. 



Comments

Popular Posts